Thursday, 29 July 2010

Two into one.


IMG_0010 woodland path








Yesterday we decided to do another four mile walk in the opposite direction along the disused canal from Saul to Fromebridge Mill. We followed the to path around Whitminster House to St Andrews Church and were impressed how neatly the grass was trimmed around the leaning gravestones. The church and house stand isolated from the village of Whitminster and are advertised as a tranquil picturesque setting for weddings and receptions. We passed over this old iron squeeze stile, which was as good as the day the local blacksmith had made it. Over the road we could hear the water from the Frome thundering over the weir on it’s way to the Severn. It was another warm, humid day so we welcomed the cool shaded walk through the woodland.

IMG_0019Turning left we followed the towpath and could see that the canal was in water all the way along.

IMG_0018 Ocupation Bridge Bristol Road Wharf 

As we approached the house at Bristol Road Wharf we saw that the occupation bridge appeared to be in good order. It was built higher and wider in order to accommodate the passing of the Severn Trows. The farmer was busy with his combine, harvesting his crop in a large field nearby.

IMG_0023 one of several pillboxesThis was one of several WW2 ‘Pill Boxes’ that were in the fields hereabouts, I wonder if they were ever used by the Local Defence Volunteers or Home Guard, or indeed how they came by that name?

IMG_0025 Fromebridge Mill We emerged onto the roundabout on the A38 to meander down the lane, through the car park, across the bridge over the River Frome and into Fromebridge Mill. Dating from the 14 century it has mostly been a corn mill until the 1990’s when it was made into a restaurant for 180 diners. Luckily it retains much of the old mill workings, wooden beams and artefacts all around. In addition to the extensive menu there is also a carvery serving roast dinner twice a week. The food is excellent and can be enjoyed inside or out by the weir. Needless to say it was very busy. After all that walking we were quite hungry and thirsty too.

We arrived back at the boat in time for a rest before Mike and Do turned up for tea and cake. After exchanging news of friends and family, Mike offered to take us out for an evening meal in his new car. Well this was a novelty as we hadn’t been on these roads for quite sometime, or in a car. We had a lovely meal and drove back down the scenic route through Slad Valley, luvly jubbly! Today we may do something less strenuous and only have one dinner!

No comments: