Seeing that the squawking Seagulls woke us up at the crack of dawn we had a very early breakfast. The wind had dropped and the sun was beaming down on us, so we went for a mooch around the city. This is the grand carved stone entrance to the Cathedral in Westgate Street. Beatrix Potters Tailor of Gloucester had his workshop near here.
Robert Raikes House was looking rather good after being lavishly refurbished. Further down Southgate Street works were going on to smarten up the area and pedestrianise it. Gloucester was called Glevum by the Romans and it had a Mott and Bailey Castle in 1086. The stone castle was in decay in the late 15 century, but remained in use as a gaol until the late 18 century. The present County Gaol was built in 1790. The four main streets led in from the surrounding castle walls from the North, East, South and West gates, to meet in the centre on The Cross.
There are mosaics set into some of the pavements depicting the trades that were carried out. This is the Pinner, as by 1744 pin making was one of Gloucester's main industries. The Cordwainer made leather goods here in the 14 century. In 1230 Hare Lane was called Tanners Street and was just outside the city's North gate where the leather was tanned. We then walked on to have elevenses at Wetherspoons, The Regal, which used to be the old cinema. They do a very good breakfast deal too, a large coffee with two toasted teacakes with butter and jams for £1.79, luvly jubly. During our stay here we met up with the crews of Sweet William and Evening Standard. Our allotted 48 hours in the docks was now up so we pootled off down under Llanthony Bridge to shop at the Sainsbury’s superstore which is conveniently right next to the canal.