Thursday 12 December 2013

Napton, Adkins Lock.

 IMG_5181 IMG_5185 IMG_5186 IMG_5187

Our new solar powered Christmas lights were looking pretty out in the cratch this evening, We’ve hardly seen any boats on the move recently, has everyone gone into hibernation early? On todays cruise we encircled Wormleighton Hill, with the Radio Mast appearing to stride over the landscape all around us like a Triffid. While we were waiting in Marston Doles Lock to go down I spotted this magnificent mangle over the wall. My granny had one of these and I was allowed to turn the handle for her on washdays. It was one of my favourite jobs as I liked hearing the cogs clanking together. I am reminded of this whenever I wind the gate paddles at the locks as they make a similar pleasing sound. The two locks here are so easy for me to operate and to step across the bottom gate opening. Once down Adkins lock we moored up overnight.

No comments: