We chugged slowly by a fishing match in progress, a happy lot they were too! It was a lovely bright day for cruising with no locks. We moored near Earlswood Yacht Club, although, we didn’t see any yachts moored there. The next day we embarked on a 3 1/2 mile circular walk up to Earlswood Reservoir finding a post-box en-route. The Craft Centre was very busy, the ‘Buttons and Beads’ workshop was in full swing with excited children making necklaces. Then we went round the reservoir where George had caught a very big Carp on his small rod. It was rather like being at the seaside as the wind was whipping up waves.
The Earlswood Steam Engine House was built in 1821 to pump water from the lakes into the canal, but these days an electric pump is used. The above milestone has ‘SONAGS’ on it, anyone know what these letters stand for?
Today we called in to the excellent Wedges Bakery (bridge 20) at Illshaw Heath. We could see them working away in the bake house on the right and the smell was just wonderful. Anyway, we bought a couple of crusty loaves, some cakes and Cornish pasties. After coffee and cake aboard we washed the other side of the boat and carried on towards Lapworth Locks. We have done four of them and will do the rest tomorrow.